JOB RESPONSIBILITIES OF A SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGER
Companies are on a hunt for someone who could help them out in the world of social media. Social media websites like Facebook, twitter and YouTube are taking the world to a completely different level. Many big companies are taking full advantage of these sites in order to promote their own business to the internet population. With almost every household with internet connectivity, social media is covering a good amount of market.
A social media manager is a person who can help these companies with deciding what kind of approach suits their product or service. A good manager will have sound knowledge about how things work on the internet for example, SEO, creating back-links and shaking hands with websites such as Facebook. Below I have listed the job responsibilities of a social media manager in detail.
- Help the company to organize standards of social media management. He must also setup protocols and policies of engagement with the social media.
- Developing and maintaining strategies in order to increase visibility and traffic for the company. A good manager knows how to apply these strategies for getting more and more productivity.
- Working closely with the product development team to maintain and update social media tools such as FB like, connect and sharing buttons.
- Should be able to train and guide the management and communication professionals about the best approaches to be taken for managing, creating, developing and monitoring content for social networking websites.
- Managing the social media campaigns launched by the company, that includes editorial writing, advocating, carrying out promotions and make efforts towards community-outreach.
- Start marketing campaigns and strategies to explore different avenues of social media. Should be able to coordinate and work with admin and executive level managers of other brands.
- Managing company’s presence in various social networking sites such as Facebook, Myspace, Hi5 and Twitter. This includes that he should be posting relevant content and blogs that might be needed.
- Advocating companies products and services on the social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. Becoming the eyes and ears of the company and interacting with potential customers, answering queries and engaging in dialogues wherever necessary.
- Building a network that acts as a brand ambassador, managing programs like blogger outreach. Basically, doing everything that might help to spread the word about the company.
- Monitoring the latest tools, trends and applications in the world of social media.
There are different titles that are given by different companies for this role, commonly heard are social media manager, social media strategist, and social media marketing manager and sometimes they call it community manager. There are also some informal names given to these guys such as ninjas, gurus or experts. There is a considerable amount of confusion or rather misunderstanding about the kind of knowledge and experience a social media manager must have. What I have listed above is just my understanding about it, which I was able to reach after a good amount of research. Below I will be now listing the desired experience that a good social media manager must have.
- Person applying for such a position must be a graduate preferably a BA/BS from a recognized university, with at least 3-5 years of experience in advertising, public relations, marketing and communications.
- An advance degree might be required incase the post applied for is admin or an executive level post.
- Written and verbal communication skills should be excellent.
- A good knowledge about graphic design, in both web and print formats.
- Should have advanced computer knowledge and a strong technical background.
- The job demands the manager to be able to work independently and at the same time should be a good team player whenever the situation demands.
- A good attitude towards maintaining and developing strong working relationships with external as well as internal stakeholders.
- Should be good at managing the online communities.
- A sound knowledge of ethical SEO optimization is a must.
- Should be strong with interpersonal skills and leadership qualities.
- Superior presentation and communication skills.
- Should be able to demonstrate good knowledge and passion for social media technology.
- Experience and knowledge of various online measurement and monitoring platforms.
- Relevant experience with identifying and creating superior content that relates to the company’s business.
- Should be able to develop and launch text messaging and email marketing campaigns.
- Should be good at multi-tasking and efficiently meet the deadlines.
- The manager should be analytic, data and metrics oriented.
- Must be good with MS word, document, power-point and outlook. Also should have knowledge about Adobe design suite.
- Great understand of CSS and HTML is required.
- Should be well versed with content classification, content management techniques.
Social media is like an online job. It’s something that is going to stay for a longtime. More and more companies realize this and are going to great extents to get someone to join them and guide them with social media management. Their goal is to reach largest possible audience, and internet is a great place to start.
- Image by Smart Photo Stock
Pritam is the contributor for this article, who likes to post on his blogs on jobs & career related topics.