SEO Tips | How to use description meta tag effectively
The Description Meta Tag gives search engines a summary of what the page is about. The description that you provide is used as snippets for your pages, so make sure that you put the most effective and relevant keywords into the description of your website.
Whereas a title tag may be a few words or a phrase, a page’s description meta tag might be a sentence or two or a short paragraph.
META Description Tag Example
<Meta Name=”Description” Content=” “>
It is a very good practice to add description meta tags to each of your pages because in case search engine (Google) cannot find a good selection of text to use in the snippet, Google might use them as snippets for your pages.
Some good practices for using description meta tags effectively
- Exactly summarize the page’s content
- Add a description that should attract user to visit your website if they saw your description meta tag as a snippet in SERPs.
- Use maximum 150-160 character in meta description tag
- Don’t repeat the same keywords in the description
- Avoid writing a description meta tag that has no relation to the content on the page
- Don’t use generic descriptions like “This is a webpage”
- Use unique descriptions for each page of your website
Effective use of description meta tag can really improve your website traffic.