SEO Tips |How to improve URL structure of website for better Google ranking
Creating a URL structure that describes the content can improve Google ranking of the website. This can be done by organizing the website by creating descriptive categories and filenames for the documents, helping in logical creation of simple and user friendly URLs. URL containing relevant keywords provides users and search engines with more information about the page.
URL to a document is shown as part of a search result in Google, below the document’s title and snippet. Words in the URL on the search result appear in bold if they appear in the user’s query. That’s why it is important to have a good URL structure.
Guide to improve URL structure for better Google ranking
- Use short and simple URLs
- Shorter the URL, easier to circulate
- Use keywords in URL that are relevant to page content
- Avoid using lengthy URLs with unnecessary parameters and session IDs
- Create a simple directory structure that organizes your content well and is easy for visitors to know where they are at web site
- Avoid having deep nesting of sub directories like dir1/dir2/…
- Use a robots.txt file to block Google bots access to tricky URLs
- Check your site for broken relative links
- Don’t use pages from sub domains and root directories
- Avoid using odd capitalization of URLs
- Use dash instead of underscore to separate the terms
- Don’t mix up www & non-www versions of URLs in internal linking structure
- Set up a 301 redirect from non-preferred URLs to the dominant URL
Following above points can not only help you to create simple and user friendly URL structures but also in improving your website ranking in Google.